This is a very easy project that can be done with fusible tape **- no sewing required. Or, if you prefer, you can stitch hems. Hand draw a letter or use your computer to create a letter pattern for your child's name. We used "S" for "Samuel".
** Our little super hero loves his cape and I found that over time and lots of use the fusible tape did not hold up. I stitched around the hems and letter area and it now holds up to his active play.
All Patterns, images and instructions are copyright protected.
Please read our Terms & Conditions before using our patterns.
11" x 9" square solid fabric for base color of letter area (we used yellow)
8" x 8" square solid fabric for letter color (we used blue)
One yard solid fabric for cape (we used red)
2 yards 1/4" ribbon for cape ties (we used yellow)
2.5" x width of cape at upper edge of solid fabric for edging at top of cape (we used blue)
Two 11" squares of fusible web
Scissors, iron, fusible hem tape
Use the image on the right as a guide for cutting your main cape piece. Change the size as needed for your child.
NOTE: our finished cape was 23.5" in length, but there is a 1.25" hem at the top and bottom, so the cape was cut 26" long.
1. Cut out the cape.
2. Following the fusible tape instructions, apply the tape along the hem fold on the bottom edge of the wrong side of the cape to create a hem.
3. Lay fusible tape along inside of upper edge strip (we used blue). Fold over each long side to meet in the middle. Press. This creates a finished edge strip.
4. Fold over the top of the cape edge to the wrong side, creating a hem of about 1.25". Press. Lay the cape tie ribbon along the fold. Apply fusible tape under the ribbon area. Use iron to press hem. The ribbon is in place and should slide freely through the hemmed area.
If you prefer, you can stitch the ribbon on the backside of the upper edge of the cape after the cape is finished. This will hold it more securely.
5. Lay blue edge piece over top edge of cape on right side of cape. Use fusible tape to fuse it into place (tape not shown on right).
6. Apply fusible web to wrong side of letter fabrics (yellow background and blue letter). Cut out background shape and letter shape. Peel off backing of fusible web that is on the letter piece and follow instructions for fusing it to background piece. DO NOT remove backing of background piece at this time.