The finished size of the puppy case is as listed below. This will help you know where various pattern pieces
will be used.
I chose a background print that had small dogs on it. For the dogs, I chose two contrasting prints with spots. This made
a very cute pillow cover. Choose fabrics that are multi-directional and do not have a nap. Since these
are pillow covers, I did not worry about laying pieces with the grain, etc.
You will need the following materials: (buy extra to allow for shrinkage)
1 yard of background fabric
10 unmatched buttons, about 1.5"-1.75" in diameter (or per your own choice)
about 1/4 yd. total dog fabric (makes 2 dogs)
1/3 yd block background fabric
1/8 yd border contrast fabric
Thread - to match background, and to use to stitch down dog pieces
Wonderunder to help place dog pieces
Safety Reminders For Little Helpers
A. Always have an adult do all the ironing!
B. Never run with scissors. Carry them pointed end down.
C. Never use a sewing machine without adult supervision.
D. Always let an adult use the seam ripper for you.
Please Note: These diagrams are not exactly to scale, but pattern pieces do fit as shown.
Now you are ready to start!
INSTRUCTIONS (NOTE: ALL SEAMS ARE 1/4")
Cut out pattern pieces of dog. Do not cut out dog fabric pieces yet.
For other pieces, cut pattern pieces as follows (I use butcher paper bought on a roll from Costco to create
my pattern pieces):
Block: 9.5" x 9.5"
Top/Bottom Strip: 4" X 21.5"
Short Border Strip: 1.5" x 9.5"
Long Border Strip: 1.5" x 21.5"
End Piece: 18.5" x 7.75" (allows 3" hem on each end)
Pillow Back: 36" x 18.5" (backside of pillow)
Lay out as follows:
Assemble Dog Blocks
1. Iron the Wonderunder to the wrong side of the dog fabric, according to directions on the Wonderunder.
2. Cut out dog pieces. Lay out the dog pieces before ironing them on, or sewing them on to be sure
of placement. Lay all pieces right side up onto the right side of the block. Lay down dog's tail. On top of the tail,
lay the body. Then lay down the head. The lay down the two ears. Place the bone or ball.
3. When you are sure of placement, iron the pieces down into place, in the correct order. Then sew around pieces using
a machine or hand applique stitch (a very narrow machine zig-zag works well). Repeat with the
ball or bone. Embroider on the eyes, nose, etc. Repeat with second block.
Assemble Pillow Front
4. Sew one short border strip between blocks, and one strip onto each end, right sides together.
5. Sew the two long border stips on, right sides together, sewing one onto each long side.
6. Sew on the top and bottom pieces, right sides together.
7. Sew on the two end pieces, right sides together.
8. Sew pillow back to pillow front, right sides together.
9. Serge around edge of hem (or zig-zag or hem under 1/4"). Turn hem under 3 inches. Iron. Stitch hem.
10. Lay out buttons. When sure of placement, make buttonholes of appropriate sizes on the two ends
of your pillowcase (3 buttons on each end). NOTE: you can make the buttonholes on only one end; the other
end has buttons that are decorative only. Sew on buttons.
Congratulations! You are finished. Enjoy!
If you have any problems with the instructions, please email us.